Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: durability or lifespan of film

  1. #11
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I get my bulbs when I buy another projector. You get the projector and a bulb for the same price. Hee, Hee. Thrift stores are great.

  2. #12
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Getting back to the original topic, K40 lasts about 100 years before it suffers a %10 loss in color. That's assuming you store the film in a dry place that's consistently at room temperature. I don't know what adverse effects grandma's blazing hot attic or your uncle's damp, moldy basement will have on your film. From what I've read, if you keep your film in metal cans in a dry closet that gets neither too hot or too cold, you should not have a problem. Freezing it would be the ultimate storage method, but I wouldn't store film in metal cans in the freezer--the cans will rust over time. I don't know how plastic would fare in an Amana, either.

    So does Ektachrome have the staying power of K40?

    Tom

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 01, 2002 09:43 AM: Message edited by: tfunch24 ]</font>

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Roget's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 8th, 2001
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No, Ektachrome doesn't have the same lifespan of Kodachrome. I don't have actual figures or research in front of me right now, but from what I recall it's about half of Kodachrome's.

    However, Ektachrome and other E-6 stocks do hold up much better when projected. Kodachrome's superior life span is based on dark, film-friendly storage. But when projected, it suffers more of a hit than Ektachrome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •